Friday, November 05, 2004

So Democrats Think Americans Hate Them

Slate magazine has been running a rather interesting series since after the election, which they title "Why Americans Hate Democrats--A Dialogue." First, their premise is totally flawed. Americans do not hate Democrats. I don't like to paraphrase a nutty novelist like L. Ron Hubbard, but he did say something profound in his last magnum opus: "A thing has to amount to something in order to be hated." Let me confirm that: we don't go around hating people; we leave that to the Democrats. I go further: God loves everyone, and would like nothing better than that everyone get his mind right (Greek metanoeo I am getting my mind right, usually translated as "I repent") about evil thoughts and basically losing lifestyles, and come to Jesus for some real "living water." So who am I, and who are any of my fellow people of faith, to disagree with that? If the Democrats would stop projecting their bad attitudes on the rest of us, they might understand that.

Beyond that, every one of the contributors to this so-called dialogue misses the mark. The worst example is Jane Smiley's contribution. (Hat Tip: The Power Line. Thanks, Rocket Man.) I will spare you the vulgar and often profane diatribe; read it for yourselves. But I'd like to comment on one paragraph:
The worst civilian massacre in American history took place in Lawrence, Kan., in 1862—Quantrill's raid. The red forces, known then as the slave-power, pulled 265 unarmed men from their beds on a Sunday morning and slaughtered them in front of their wives and children.
Now see here, Jane. I know all about William Clarke Quantrill. Quantrill was a murderer, a bandit, a terrorist, and a renegade. He was not a duly commissioned officer in the Confederate States Army. For you to compare any Confederate to Quantrill is a bad enough libel--but when you compare me to Quantrill, just because I voted for Bush, that is beyond the pale. (I'll leave it up to Bush to defend himself from the obvious canard comparing him to Quantrill. After all, Bush has been the target of far more odious comparisons.)

None of those Democrats "get it," and I doubt they ever will. If we were given to hating, then we could lay the blame on the Jane Smileys and similarly unhinged Democratic Party leaders, activists, and fellow travelers. But we don't--because Rudyard Kipling wouldn't approve. Neither would Jesus Himself, I might add.