Saturday, November 13, 2004

Shut Up, Hollywood

That's how Chuck Muth quoted Steven Vincent in today's News & Views. Specifically:
Celebrities gain stature through show-biz popularity. To take that popularity into the political realm is an act of bad faith with their audiences. We pay them to entertain us, not to shoot their mouths off about issues they know nothing about.
Well, not quite, Steve. John Wayne did his share of celebrity issue-stumping, too--and his projects were pretty much consistent with his ideology. My attitude is: Yes, we pay these people to entertain us. But shooting their mouths off, both in their projects and out of it, is part of the package, and always has been. This goes all the way back to the ancient Greeks, and we know this because a lot of the Greeks' theater projects lampooned their gods.

But, since I'm not so addicted to fiction-for-fiction's-sake as I once was, and have more self-discipline, I simply refuse to patronize any projects that have an anti-Christian worldview, and I also refuse to patronize most of the projects of those actors who spout nonsense--or worse, are so undisciplined that they are seemingly drunk or under the influence of drugs every other day.

Laura Ingraham says, "Shut Up and Sing!" I say, "Go ahead and shoot your mouth off, but I'll take my music someplace else." And if that means limiting myself to J. S. Bach, so be it.