Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Tony Blankley weighs in on secession talk

(Hat Tip: The Power Line.) Ever since I first heard the incredible blather now coming from various Democratic Party fellow-travelers--and now from a senior Democratic Party operative--I have waited for one of their close acquaintances to comment on this outrageous proposal and all its implications. Now, someone has. That someone is Tony Blankley, a member of The McLaughlin Group--as is Lawrence O'Donnell (you remember him--he called John O'Neil a LIAR more times than I could count on another show). Blankley soberly repeats O'Donnell's words calling for the secession of all the states that John Kerry carried, and continues with a description of him intended to show that Lawrence O'Donnell is not some ordinary, dismissible ranting-and-raving maniac.

Now in all honesty, you could have fooled me--but then again, I don't know the man as long as Tony Blankley has. More to the point is what Blankley goes on to say:
  1. When a man who is not a habitual raving maniac starts to rave like a maniac, and his closest associates do not immediately seize him and force him to swallow a chill pill, you know that a whole bunch of people, not just the one doing the raving, have gone out of their minds with rage.
  2. O'Donnell is really saying that more than half the voters in the last election, and by extension more than half the people in the country, are not fit to be his fellow citizens--or at least that he does not care to be our fellow citizen. The last person to think and write and act that way was Adolf Hitler. Blankley then asks, quite reasonably, what O'Donnell and his ilk would have done had they won this election.
Well, speaking as one of "those Christers" who informs his daily life by the inerrant Word of God, I, of course, take exception to Lawrence O'Donnell's remarks. I am not--now--prepared to say for certain, however, that anyone in the Democratic Party is really taking Lawrence O'Donnell seriously. If they are, they are worse than sore losers--they are dangerous. And as much as I, a son of Confederate veterans (not officially, you understand, but I know I have at least one such veteran in my pedigree), would just as soon not have to worry about California's electoral votes ever again forcing another Clinton or another Franklin Roosevelt down my throat, I'm not so sure that I relish the prospect of bidding the Blue States to go ahead and split off. For one thing, I happen to live in one of them, and know that I would instantly be an enemy alien. And for another, if Lawrence O'Donnell's attitude is any indicator (and if Tony Blankley's assessment of that attitude is even halfway correct), then if the Blue States were to secede tomorrow, then the Red/Blue War would begin the next day. That would be devastating enough--but we've got a common enemy to contend with. (And I don't care what Osama bin Laden says; I would never advise any Blue Stater to place any stock whatsoever in any security guarantees from that man, or any other Muslim! For the Koran also says that it's OK to lie, so long as you know the truth and the lie benefits the Muslim faith.)

So now I'm waiting for other shoes to drop. I'm waiting, frankly, for some veteran, old-school Democrats to bring a straitjacket, a shot of chlorpromazine, whatever it takes to bring Lawrence O'Donnell back into line and put an end to this loose talk once and for all. I can appreciate--up to a point--Sean Hannity saying, as he did today, that he wants Democrats to continue to be unhinged so that they can't fight effectively. But Tony Blankley has just convinced me that this secession talk, coming as it does from such a senior man, has crossed the line. It's not funny anymore, and it has to stop--now.