Friday, December 24, 2004

Report: CBS Eyes Couric for Rather Replacement

This comes from my number-one reliable source, FOXNews.com.

You'll remember, I'm sure, that when Diane Sawyer was the rumored CBS pick, I thought CBS were out of their minds. I still do--for the same type of reason, and now, perhaps, an even better reason. If Diane Sawyer is Dan Rather with an X chromosome instead of a Y, then Katie Couric is just a bit of fluff! Fox seems to think that this will help ABC better than CBS, because Diane Sawyer's Good Morning, America will run circles around NBC's venerable Today when Katie Couric is gone. Fox, I love you guys, and I know you've got your facts straight on this. (I mean, why would you lie to me?) But who is kidding whom? Today is still coasting on the legacy of Hugh Downs and Barbara Walters. I don't think Katie Couric has done a thing for that show.

As to what will happen at CBS if Katie Couric serves out the last 18 months of her contract at NBC and switches over, I predict one of two things:

  1. Katie Couric will last about a year trying to "perk up" the evening news, and then Peter Jennings over at ABC will chew her up and spit her out. Or:
  2. Katie Couric will become less fluffy--and just as mean as Dan Rather was. If you don't believe me on that, ask Sean Hannity how he was treated the last time he was on the Today show.
Put it all together, and I have even less reason to watch CBS again than I ever had before.