Monday, January 17, 2005

Border Redux

Remember this? My first-ever post on this blog, the one I opened with--and today I get a comment on it--from the Toad. The comment reads:
Well the borders are unprotected on both sides, Bush has made sure of that.
Now I'm not sure what he really means by that, mostly because, if you look at his blog, you'll find that it's quite liberal--or maybe "socially libertarian." Actually, he's one of those avowed secularists--like Andrew Sullivan--who, unlike the Democratic National Committee, at least recognizes this Muslim thing as the threat that it is.

So what about his charge that the borders are unprotected? Well, again, I don't know precisely what he's talking about--but I can name several examples of policies that Bush ought to rescind. Frankly, he's playing too cozy with the Mexicans, and especially with El Presidente Vicente Fox (as in Crazy As). The proposed AgJOBS bill is a boondoggle from start to finish--and why are we fooling around and having to hire extra hands at every harvest, instead of automating? And the idea that Hillary Clinton actually talks tougher turkey on border security than the only President actually to do something about terrorism in the last twelve years still has me shaking my head with wonder. Because Hillary's words are correct--though whether she'd follow up on them is anyone's guess. (Where has she been since she entered the Senate? Blank-out, as my former Objectivist friends used to say.)