Monday, January 17, 2005

Goodbye, Dan. Hello, Katie?

Well, whaddya know? Here's the link to the Time article about CBS approaching Katie Couric about doing the CBS Evening News. Thanks, Wonkette. You and I are not likely to agree on much, but if I read your post correctly, you're in sarcasm mode in a way that I frankly wouldn't have expected. Congratulations: you've just confirmed every impression I had about how Katie Couric doing the evening news would really be received. Your reminder about how she cared more about a celebrity marriage breaking up than about the Sumatra Earthquake and Tsunami was absolutely priceless. My only quarrel with you is this: A heart of stone? Nah--more like a heart of air to go along with her head.

In fact, the Time article devotes just one bullet point out of six to Katie Couric's prospects (all right, all right, it's right at the top). The other five are Ted (Nightline) Koppel, present CBS staffers John Roberts, Scott Pelley, and Mika Brzezinski (Who? Ah, yes--Zbig's daughter, who is also a correspondent at CBS), and CNN's Anderson Cooper. And for the first time (well, sorry--I couldn't care less about this kind of stuff, anyway, so that's why I missed it) I now learn that CNN and CBS are in merger-and-acquisition talks. Oh, great--CNN becomes CBS Cable. And I wouldn't be able to care less. And I guess Diane Sawyer is permanently out of the running--or rather, must have stated in no uncertain terms that she does not want the gig.

Well, we shall see--if we can keep our eyes propped open.