Saturday, April 02, 2005

AP: Pope John Paul II Dies at 84

This is definitely confirmed, and the news is all over every electronic outlet.

I join in mourning a truly great Pope. He displayed a courage second only to that of Innocent III, in addition to being the third-longest-serving Pope, the most widely traveled Pope in history, and one of the most prolific publishers to occupy that post. While I cannot agree with all the late Pope's theology, I admire courage wherever and whenever anyone demonstrates it, as this Pope did. (Also of note: he was the first Pope ever to visit the New World, and made four visits to the USA.)

His funeral will take place next week, and then will come the Conclave, or literally the "locking-up together," of the College of Cardinals. I wish them the best in choosing a successor, as I don't see any obvious candidate.