Thursday, November 17, 2005

WorldNetDaily: Clinton: Americans 'reluctant to get to heaven'

And why does he say that? Because we display an inordinate fear of death when we oppose killings like that of Terri Schindler Schiavo.

Suddenly I find myself traveling back in time--or back along Memory Lane--to when I first saw the motion picture Soylent Green on TV.

I shall never forget its final sequence. Sol Roth, the best friend and roommate of Detective Robert Thorn, leaves a note saying, "I am going home." Except that "home" is actually a suicide parlor, where a man agrees to accept twenty minutes of ecstasy (consisting of pastoral scenes from an age now gone by, accompanied by music of his own selection) in return for being gassed to death. Thorn arrives in time to watch his friend die--and then tags along with those who dispose of his remains. To his monumental disgust, Thorn finds himself in a factory where his friend and a bunch of other bodies go in--and green wafers of New York City's favorite food, called Soylent Green, come out. An ambush follows as Soylent, Inc.'s chief of security tries to kill Thorn. Thorn's supervisor shows up, and this is where Thorn utters the most memorable lines of the film:

Det. Thorn: It's people. Soylent Green is made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

Hatcher: I promise, Tiger. I promise. I'll tell the exchange.

Det. Thorn: You tell everybody. Listen to me, Hatcher. You've gotta tell them! Soylent Green is people! We've gotta stop them somehow!