Monday, February 27, 2006

OpinionJournal - Jihadi Turns Bulldog

Here's a key excerpt:
I don't believe Mr. Rahmatullah had direct knowledge of the 9/11 plot, and I don't think he has ever killed anyone. I can appreciate that he is trying to rebuild his life. But he willingly and cheerfully served an evil regime in a manner that would have made Goebbels proud. That he was 22 at the time is little of an excuse. There are many poor, bright students--American and foreign alike--who would jump at the opportunity to attend Yale. Why should Mr. Rahmatullah go to the line ahead of all of them? That's a question Yale alumni should ask when their alma mater comes looking for contributions.
And as a Yale Alumni myself, let me say that such wrongheaded administrative decisions like this, and worse, are why I have refused any further contributions to Yale College.

Let me share another excerpt:

But sometimes his humor really backfired. At a speech for the Atlantic Council, Mr. Rahmatullah was confronted by a woman in the audience who lifted the burkha she was wearing and chastised him for the Taliban's infamous treatment of women. "You have imprisoned the women--it's a horror, let me tell you," she cried. Mr. Rahmatullah responded with a sneer: "I'm really sorry to your husband. He might have a very difficult time with you."
The article goes on to say that Michael Moore had the bad sense to include that clip in his film Fahrenheit 9/11, and that Mavis Leno (Jay's wife) heard it and roared.