Sunday, November 07, 2004

Europe Having Second Thoughts About All Those Muslims

From Captain's Quarters, which has an interesting theory about the differences between the Muslim experience in America and Europe. The Captain seems to think that Muslims come over here to work, and therefore are more likely to be pragmatic.

I wish I could share the Captain's sanguinity about Muslims in America, but I'm afraid I can't. I think about the Sixty Minutes interview with Muslim schoolchildren, many of whom boasted that they would willingly strap on suicide vests to blow up Naval bases, until their principal told them to redo the interview and take it back. So I think our problems with Muslims are far more severe than the Captain seems to think.

But Europe's real problem is that they don't believe in anything; therefore they don't know what to do with people who do believe in something--strong enough to kill in the name of that something. Something has to give--and the only question is what.