Thursday, November 03, 2005

Admissions: Rejected - Christianity Today Magazine

At issue: students who get a high-school education at a Christian school, then apply for admission to a secular college. Naturally--I say again, naturally, because a snake is a snake, and a secular institution is a secular institution--the college rejects them. In the case of the University of California system, it's because of courses that the Christian students take, that address history, English literature, and the like from a Christian perspective. Calvary Chapel Christian Schools has had this happen to several of their students trying to get into University of California system schools, so now they're suing.

I am of two minds about this. On one hand, Paul did plead his Roman citizenship when garrison commander Claudius Lysias ordered him examined under the scourge. But on the other, the Bible tells us to be separate. If I were one of the involved parents, I wouldn't bother with the UC system. I'd sooner send my children, if I had any, to Bob Jones University.

I wish the CCCS and their attorneys as much blessing as lies within God's will to grant. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose. Nor would I be so quick to lament the loss. When persecution broke out in Jerusalem [Acts 8-9], the Apostles scattered all over the Middle East and ultimately all over the Roman world. It was the best thing that could have happened to the Gospel. So sometimes what looks like defeat is actually victory. So it might be in this case.